Friday, October 7, 2011

Ladie's Roadtrip To Iowa!

    I received the invitation in the mail, I thought up a brilliant and exciting plan to transport me to Iowa. I shared it with my Mother and Brother...we checked the calendar...then the map...then calculated distances...we had several options...now it was time to take it to Father. I waited for a good time (not wanting to overwhelm him with our crazy plans)...I tried to present it in a submissive "not my will but your will be done" attitude. He agreed it might be and option and that he'd love for me to go, and we will think and pray about it. I refrained from calling her, for I wanted it to be a surprise. But several weeks later...plain tickets were unaffordable, and all my other ideas fell through. I accepted this, obviously the best for me, as God saw it. I could see that He was trying to teach me a "certain lesson". The Sat. before the graduation celebration...she called me. I told her all the things we had tried to devise to get to Iowa and spend the weekend, and how nothing worked. She had to go...but said she'd call back later that evening. When she did call...she really did have the perfect plan...her Aunt and cousins were coming to Iowa from Georgia...and we could meet in Atlanta and drive up with them! YAY...so that's how it went. (After first having the crazy idea of driving four hours from Ill., where we currently were, to meet them as they were driving home from Ind. to Iowa. Father said a gentle and wise "no". Then we almost didn't go because of some physical illness problems...long story.) So I left on a Thurs. afternoon...and drove though rain to the city of Atlanta. Meeting three wonderful ladies: Dorcas (Mother), Corina, (Eldest daughter), and Ashlin (Younger daughter.). We hit it off...and had a wonderful time.We arrived Friday Morning to the Bontreger household, for the purpose of attending Mitchell and Allison's graduation recital and celebration.
Music practice for the Recital....Beautiful!




I only wish I could explain how crazy and fun it was around the house all weekend. We had so much fun preparing food in this kitchen!

Sister on the left talks on phone, and has fun creating table, Sister on right tries to keep things moving "Just tell her you can't talk!"... :) They're personalities made me laugh all weekend!


Allison creates her darling picture board.

All the creative pictures were so super fun!

Corina was assigned to spray-paint "everything" black! :) (Including a failed attempt to make hand sanitizers classy! :))

Saturday morning....after final prep. we all got ready for the grand occasion. Chelsy was runny around being the glue to all the activities going on, and she summoned me capture the doing of the hair. And anyone who knows Allison, thinks of her lovely up-doos..so it was quite the little shoot! :)






Little sister Elizabeth poses with the programs.

They started with two songs of worship. When she does anything...she does it with passion and expression...therefore watching her sing is so real.
 .


Beautiful Beethoven pieces...totally amazing.


Chelsy accompanied her on all her pieces.... (Joshua serves as "page flipper")

And then we smoothly switch over to blue-grass banjo music! It was such a fun combination. Couldn't call this recital boring! ;)


Sisters look on.


And they play their Father's favorite song; Orange blossom.



She didn't know these two elderly women...they saw the recital in the paper and came. "I have never in all my life heard anything like this", said the ninety-year-old, dear lady.

Sweet little sisters Elizabeth and Rebecka.


Finally! Finally the party! Relax, CELEBRATE! And eat the food that has been before us for the past two days, to which we had to save for the party!

Corina prepares sandwiches.

Te he...

Lace, rotic, pictures and quotes...Allison table.




Mitchell's table.


Mitchell greets the guests.


The dessert table was so wonderful! Five different kinds of delicious bars! 

 After the wonderful meal and conversations. We played "speed volleyball"...(super fun)...for about two hours. Then...then 8 young ladies in the bus that night! Three of them I had only met that night...two others I had met just days earlier..but we all hit it off....staying up till five o'clock...wonderful talks until about 3:30....then "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers"... (we giggled the entire time)...then we attempted to join in the early morning milking...more good talks. It was so encouraging and fun.
Sunday morning after Church we pose for a few good-bye pictures.


Little ladies that I so enjoyed being with over the weekend.

One more just before we left. We had such a good time. But I really was ready to leave when we did. Every time I leave my family I'm reminded how God did not intend for a body to live with anyone but their family. Plus we talked a lot about family and how to deal with, love, and enjoy them. So I talked about them a lot...and was so inspired in how to get to know them even more...and how to love....even when there I things that bug me..or I would want to change.I've been so challenged to look at those things as molding tools in my life and opportunity to love and serve. I was almost discouraged when we left...I have so far to go..but I couldn't let myself be...I know God will teach me...and He has given me my family with their personalities for a reason.



Corina checking oil on the way home.
The Ride home was wonderful. We talked late into the night...we stuck our heads out the window as we drove through St. Louis...talked more...slept some...and arrived at their house at around three or four o'clock. Honestly...these single, learning-filled, adventure-full days of my life are the best! It's sucha beautiful time of my life right now...some mornings I cry...sometimes I'm discouraged...and yet it's just so beautiful to live this life...to prepare for the furture life...to sing with the changing of God"s music over your life. God has made my dreams and prayers come true in lavish ways the past few months. He is continuing to change my heart...and this weekend was another stepping stone. I learned so much..we discussed so much, and I came back very glad I had went.

Deborah Isabel
P.S. There were many wonderful people who made the weekend lovely that are not pictured above, I say with regret. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love all your long picture posts! What a fun weekend it was, I'm glad I got to meet you! Hannah

    ReplyDelete